Council Tax Support

Working out your Council Tax Support

Maximum Council Tax Support

The amount of Council Tax Support paid can in certain circumstances be up to the total of your Council Tax bill. However, the actual amount you will receive depends on

  • the Council Tax valuation band that your home is in
  • your age
  • other adults who live with you - if you have other adults living in your home, they may be expected to pay something towards the Council Tax

The rules say we must make fixed deductions from the net Council Tax. In some situations no deductions are made.

For working age customers there are additional restrictions on the maximum Council Tax Support

  • with the exception of those classed as vulnerable, everyone must pay at least 20% of the charge
  • the vulnerable will pay at least 10% of the charge
  • from 1 April 2023, Council Tax Support entitlement calculated at less than £5.00 per week will not be paid

Vulnerable are those customers or their partners who qualify for the severe or enhanced disability premiums, or are in the Limited Capability for Work Related Activity group for Universal Credit, or have a child with a disabled child premium.

If you get Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit), you will get help with all your eligible Council Tax less any deduction for other adults living with you.

If you get Income Support, ESA (IR) or JSA (IB) you will get help with up to 80% (90% for those classed as vulnerable) of your eligible Council Tax less any deduction for other adults living with you.

If you do not get Income Support, ESA (IR), JSA (IB) or Pension Credit, we compare your weekly income against your applicable amount. If your income is less than your applicable amount we help with up to the maximum percentage of your eligible Council Tax less any deduction for other adults living with you.

If your income is more than your applicable amount the help we give with your eligible Council Tax (less any deduction for other adults) goes down on a sliding scale of 20p for each £1 difference.

Second adult rebate

If you are a pensioner and you do not get Council Tax Support in your own right you may be able to get a Second Adult Rebate.

If you have someone over 18 who is sharing your home and

  • is not paying your rent
  • is not your spouse or partner
  • does not have to pay the Council Tax
  • has a low gross income

You may be able to claim a rebate for that person. We do not count your own income and savings for this.

For example, if you are single and have to pay Council Tax and a relative comes to live with you, you may be able to claim a Second Adult Rebate for him or her.

If you qualify for Second Adult Rebate and Council Tax Support we compare the two amounts and award you the higher one. We will tell you when we do this.

Get in touch about Council Tax

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call during office hours and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help.