Council Tax Support

Who can claim Council Tax Support?

Most people who have to pay council tax can claim Council Tax Support.

They may

  • have a partner, or be single
  • be a pensioner
  • be employed or self employed
  • get other Social Security benefits


  • working age people on Band F, G or H properties cannot claim
  • working age people with more than £10,000 in savings (£16,000 for the vulnerable) may not get Council Tax Support even if their income is low
  • pensioners with more than £16,000 may not get Council Tax Support even if their income is low
  • full-time students cannot claim Council Tax Support unless they are
    • pensioners
    • lone parents
    • disabled
    • receiving Income Support
    • receiving Universal Credit
    • Employment and Support Allowance Income Related - known as ESA (IR)
    • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance - known as JSA (IB)
    • or they have a partner and have dependent children or are responsible for a child boarded out with them

If you have come to the United Kingdom (UK) within 5 years of your claim this may also affect your entitlement.

Some asylum seekers and people who are sponsored to be in the UK cannot get Council Tax Support.

Get in touch about council tax

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call during office hours and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help.