Council Tax Support

When can I claim Council Tax Support?

  • claim Council Tax Support as soon as you think you need help with your council tax

  • Council Tax Support is usually paid from the Monday after the date you claim. We cannot normally backdate claims.

  • if you know your circumstances are going to change - possibly your income will be going down or you will be taking on a new tenancy soon you can claim up to 13 weeks before you need help

  • if you move home it is important that you claim Council Tax Support within the first week of your tenancy starting

You must complete the Council Tax Support application form in full, sign it and include evidence to support your claim.

Council Tax Support application form

You can get a copy of this form from the civic centre if you do not have access to the internet.

If your provide your evidence with your claim form and it is successful you will be notified in writing, your council tax bill will be reduced and you will be sent a new one.

Get in touch about council tax

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call during office hours and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help.