Council Tax Support

How do I claim Council Tax Support?

You should apply for Council Tax Support / Housing Benefit as soon as you think you need help. Do not delay in making a claim or you may lose some Council Tax Support.

To claim Housing Benefit / Council Tax Support you need to complete the on-line benefit application and upload evidence to support your claim You can get a copy of this form from the Civic Centre if you do not have access to the internet

You must provide original documents to confirm the details on the form and prove identity. Have these to hand as you will be asked to upload them once you have completed your claim form.

If you upload your evidence with your claim form we will process it quickly and send you a decision.

The following list show examples of the documents we will accept

  • bank statements, last 2 months itemised
  • birth certificate
  • credit cards
  • divorce papers
  • driving licence (full)
  • life assurance policies
  • life insurance policies
  • medical card
  • national insurance card
  • passport, current and valid
  • UK residence permit
  • utility bill, paid and in your name for the last quarter
  • wage slips from current employer

Council Tax Support application form

You can get a copy of this form from the Civic Centre if you do not have access to the internet

You can save a part completed form and come back to it later if you need to gather evidence, but you should not delay claiming for too long as you might lose out on benefit.  

Evidence to support your application

If you do not have all the evidence asked for on the form, complete the form anyway, but you should provide the missing evidence within one calendar month to avoid any loss of benefit.

We will write to you to tell you if you are eligible for Council Tax Support / Housing Benefit and how much you will get. We will also tell you what information we used to work it out. If you think we have used the wrong information, please email

Any entitlement will usually start from the Monday after we received your application form. The first payment should be paid within 14 days of entitlement being calculated.

If you know your circumstances are going to change, you can apply up to 13 weeks before.

In some circumstances we can backdate claims

You can track your claim using a OneAccount

OneAccount can help you to

  • Request and track a range of council services
  • Edit and complete saved forms
  • Review previously completed forms 

You will need a OneAccount to access the following online services

  • Council Tax 
  • Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support
  • Business Rates
  • Recycling & Waste

To access some services you will also need to verify who you are and allow your OneAccount details to be shared with the Council’s other systems. 







Get in touch about council tax

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call during office hours and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help.