Your tenancy agreement

Alterations to your home

New Runnymede Borough Council tenants will be on an introductory tenancy during their first year.

During this time you are not allowed to make alterations or amendments to your home, other than redecoration. 

Once you become a flexible or secure tenant you may make alterations only with written permission from the council.

The issue of making alterations to your home is covered in your tenancy agreement and you are contractually obliged to adhere to its terms. 

If you are planning any improvements you must ask the Council to ensure your proposals are safe, acceptable, and do not alter or in any way disrupt services or the structure of the property.    

Within the walls and floors of your home there will be pipework, electrical cables, and possibly asbestos etc.  These are all safe if not disturbed, but can cause damage or substantial risk if not managed and dealt with properly.  Prior to carrying out any work or improvements other than basic redecoration you must contact the Council for the necessary permission.  You will be asked to provide a full description of the works proposed, including drawings and illustrations where necessary.  You should not start any works without written consent.

A gas safety inspection must be carried out every year and it is essential that you provide access for this to be done. 

Get in touch about your tenancy

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call during office hours and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help.