Get rid of waste correctly

Before you give waste to someone else check the waste carrier is licensed. A register of waste carriers, brokers and dealers can be found on the Defra website

Register of waste carriers, brokers and dealers

  • check your waste carrier's licence number
  • ask to see their waste carrier licence
  • ask where the waste is going - a legitimate company should not object to being asked questions
  • get a proper receipt (Waste Transfer Note) detailing what has been removed, where it will be going, company/trader details

If in any doubt as to whether someone is a legitimate waste carrier or proper waste removal company, and they ask you to pay cash on the spot without giving you a waste transfer note, do not allow them to take your waste.

A fixed penalty notice of up to £600 may be issued to householders if your waste is found fly-tipped, or there is evidence that you did not make appropriate checks.

Businesses must keep proper records for 2 years or face a fixed penalty notice or prosecution.

Email: if you need advice about your responsibilities.

Where to take excess household rubbish

Excess household rubbish can be disposed of at the community recycling centres across Surrey

For information about commercial waste disposal and collections email

Get in touch about environmental health

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call during office hours and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help.

Report fly-tipping

Fly-tipping is the illegal deposit of waste on land without permission. It is harmful to the environment and costs the taxpayers thousands of pounds each year to clear up. If you see any dumped waste tell us as soon as possible

Report fly-tipping
Items that have been fly-tipped