People disregarded from paying Council Tax

Students and young people in education

If you are one of the following groups of people you will not be counted for Council Tax, however you will need to apply for the discount and show us evidence where requested.

  • 18 and 19 year olds in full time education do not need to pay Council Tax until either 1 November (after they leave education) or their 20th birthday, whichever is sooner
  • students who attend a university or college course for at least 24 weeks, for an average of 21 hours per week (the disregard applies until the end of the course, not their graduation date)
  • apprentices who earn less than £195 per week
  • young people aged under 25 who are on a youth training scheme, under the Employment and Training Act 1973.

The spouse or dependent of a student who is not a British citizen will be exempt from Council Tax if immigration rules prevent them from taking paid work or claiming benefits in the UK.

Apply for student reduction

Get in touch about Council Tax

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call during office hours and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help.