Council Tax information for landlords and agents

Houses in multiple occupation (HMO)

In some cases, the owner or landlord will be liable to pay the Council Tax bill even though there are tenants living there.

These are usually multi-let properties (often referred to as Houses in Multiple Occupation or HMO's) but can include any property let on a room-by-room or multi-tenancy basis.

If you are unsure who should be paying Council Tax on your property our online form can help. Please ensure you provide as much information as you can about the letting arrangements at your property.

You may be entitled to a reduction in all or part of your bill if you let to full-time students (part time courses do not count).

We need to know the name of each student and where they are studying.

Tell us about your letting arrangements

Further guidance about how different types of HMO are banded for Council Tax can be found on the Valuation Office website.

Get in touch about Council Tax

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call during office hours and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help.