Apply for planning permission

Do I need planning permission?

If you want to build an extension to your property or do other work to your home you may need to apply for planning permission. Some minor alterations and extensions, particularly to houses, can often be carried out without the need for planning permission. This is known as permitted development.

You can find a list of common building projects including case studies and mini-guides on the Planning Portal website.

You will also need to check if permitted development rights have been removed from your property. You can do this via Runnymede's interactive Maps or for records prior to 1999 you can view the planning history at the Civic Centre.

More information on permitted development is available from the Government's Technical Guidance

Get in touch about planning

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call during office hours and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help.