Filthy or verminous premises

What the can the council do?

Once we have been made aware of a suspected filthy or verminous property, action can be taken sensitively and normally in partnership with other organisations and services. An Environmental Health Officer will investigate and contact the owner and/or occupier of the property, to offer advice and assistance. Legal notices may be served for owners to clean the filthy premises and to eradicate any vermin.

If notices are not complied with, we can employ contractors to carry out the required works to clean the property and/or eradicate the vermin. Costs incurred would then be recovered from the property owner.

It is not always possible under legislation available to deal with 'cluttered' or untidy houses, rubbish in gardens or overgrown gardens.

Report filthy premises

Get in touch about environmental health

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call during office hours and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help.