Report a change in your circumstances

Housing benefit or council tax support

If you currently receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, you need to tell us straight away about any change that could affect how much benefit you get.

If you delay telling us about a change

  • you may lose out on extra benefit 
  • we may pay you too much and you'll have to pay it back

Below are examples of changes you would need to tell us about

  • if your earnings change - like working overtime
  • if anyone moves in or out of your home
  • if your pension increases
  • if your rent increases
  • if your savings increase to above £6,000
  • if you have been, or are about to be, temporarily absent from your home

The list above does not include every change you need to tell us about. If you are unsure tell us anyway.

You need to have a live claim to be able to report a change. If you do not have a live claim you will have to make a new one.

Get in touch about benefits

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call during office hours and talk to our benefits team who will be happy to help.