Report benefit fraud

Benefit fraud is now the responsibility of the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). Runnymede Borough Council is no longer solely responsible for investigating benefit fraud.

If someone claims Housing Benefit and/or Social Security benefits where they have no right to entitlement, they are committing benefit fraud.

Typical examples of benefit fraud are people who

  • Work, but do not declare this when they submit their claim or their income increases
  • Claim as a single person, but actually live with a partner
  • Claim from an address, but do not live there
  • Do not tell the council the full amount of income, savings or capital they have when they claim benefit or when it changes
  • For any reason do not have any right to claim Housing Benefit

If you suspect someone is committing benefit fraud you can report it to the DWP online

Report benefit fraud

Alternatively, you can call the National Benefit Fraud Hotline on 0800 854 440. This number is free and confidential.

Change of circumstances

Report changes to your circumstances to keep getting the right amount of benefits. The DWP may stop or reduce your claim if you don't report changes or give wrong information.

Report a change
Money and a calculator