Benefit information for landlords

Providing accurate evidence and proof of rent

If your tenant claims Housing Benefit, we will need proof of the rent they pay you. This is usually a tenancy agreement but could also be a rent book or a letter from you.

The proof must include

  • the full address of the property they are renting
  • your full name and address (if you are the landlord)
  • the full name and address of any agent
  • the full names of all the tenants who live in the property
  • the start date of the tenancy
  • the amount of rent you charge them
  • the length of the tenancy
  • how often they pay rent, for example every week, four weeks or per calendar month
  • what is included in the rent, for example, meals, Council Tax, gas, electricity, water charges and the amount charged for each of these services
  • the date they signed the tenancy
  • your signature
  • the tenant's signature.

It is also useful to give us details of any rent the tenant owes you.

Get in touch about benefits

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help. Alternatively, you can email the service direct.