Tenant Fees Act 2019
When you are searching for a property to rent it is important that you are aware that landlords or estate agents are by law only able to ask you for
- The rent
- A refundable tenancy deposit (capped at no more than five weeks rent where your total annual rent is less than £50,000)
- A refundable holding deposit (to reserve the property) capped at no more than one week's rent
- Payments to change the tenancy when requested by the tenant, capped at £50, or reasonable costs incurred if higher
- Payments associated with early termination of the tenancy, when requested by the tenant
- Payments in respect of utilities, communication services, TV licence and council tax
- A default fee for late payment of rent and replacement of a lost key/security device giving access to the housing, where required under a tenancy agreement
Read the Tenants Fee Act to ensure that you know what fees your landlord or letting agent can ask you for
Help us improve this website
Let us know if you find any spelling mistakes, inaccuracies or broken links by using this form. If you provide an email address we will only use it to provide an update if required.
To get in touch about a service we provide use the general enquiries form.
Did you find this page useful
Get in touch about housing solutions
The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help.