Houses in multiple occupation (HMO)

As a landlord you have certain responsibilities for maintaining safety standards in your properties. You may also need a licence to rent out larger properties.

If you have three or more unrelated tenants in one property (with shared bathroom and kitchen facilities), this is known as a house in multiple occupation, or HMO. There are extra safety requirements for HMO and you may need a licence.

All houses in multiple occupation (HMO) must meet certain standards for fire safety, amenities, management and general housing conditions.

All HMO should meet the following minimum requirements:

  • The property should be maintained in a reasonable condition with adequate heating, lighting and ventilation.
  • The property should be safe and secure.
  • The property should meet the gas safety and fire safety standards for rented accommodation.

If we find any hazards we will notify the landlord in writing and advise of the actions they should take to address the problem. Landlords, owners and managing agents could face an unlimited fine if they do not cooperate.

Get in touch about private sector housing

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help. Alternatively, you can email the service direct.

HMO licence public register

The Housing Act 2004 requires us to maintain a public register of all premises in the borough licensed as houses in multiple occupation (HMOs).

HMO licence public register
Two houses