There is a separate collection for food waste which is collected every week on the same day as your recycling or rubbish.
Separate your food waste and help generate electricity!
Please remember to put your food bin at the boundary of your property by 6am on your collection day. You can find out when your collection day is by using Check your bin day.
Once recycled, food waste creates bio-fertiliser and biogas, used to generate electricity, heat and transport fuel. Find out more here about the process used for food waste recycle.
Please contain your food waste with plastic bags or liners. This will make it easier to separate your food waste and deter vermin and reduce odours. In freezing weather, liners can help to ensure that food waste does not get stuck to your bin. Any plastic bags such as bread bags are ideal for lining your caddy. You can still use newspaper or compostable liners but please don't include black bin bags and remember to remove any plastic food packaging.
If you don't have a food waste bin or caddy they are free. Please be aware that collection from the following locations is temporarily unavailable - apologies of any inconvenience caused.
- Runnymede DSO Depot, Fordwater Trading Estate, Ford Road, Chertsey, KT16 8HG
- Runnymede Civic Centre, Station Road, Addlestone, KT15 2AH
- Egham Library, High Street, Egham, TW20 9EA
If you move house, please ensure that you leave the food waste bin for the new occupier as it remains the property of Runnymede Borough Council.
What can go in your caddy?
All cooked and uncooked food waste can go in, including:
- Tea bags and coffee grounds
- Fruit and vegetable peelings
- Egg shells
- Meat - raw and uncooked
- Fish bones and skin (you may wish to wrap these in a sheet of newspaper to reduce odour)
- Mouldy bread, cakes and pastries
- Food that has passed its use by date
What cannot go in your food waste caddy?
- Liquid such as gravy, oil, juice and liquid fat
- Food packaging
- Please do not put garden waste such as twigs, grass, leaves and cut flowers in your food bin.