Council Tax discounts

Residents with disabilities

If you, or someone you live with, need an extra room or space in your home due to a disability, you may be entitled to a reduction in Council Tax.

The home must be the main residence of the person with a disability and of major importance to their wellbeing. They must also require one of the following:

  • extra internal space to accommodate a wheelchair which is used indoors
  • a second bathroom or kitchen adapted for the disability
  • an additional room adapted for the disability, other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet

Our Revenues Inspector may arrange to visit your home to confirm you meet the criteria.

Reductions are reviewed each year and we will let you know the outcome in writing.

Apply for disabled banding reduction

Get in touch about Council Tax

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call during office hours and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help.