Council tax bands and charges

Challenge your Council Tax band

Property bandings are based on property values on 1 April 1991. For properties built or converted after this date the property band is based on similar homes in the area.

The Valuation Office Agency sets the property Council Tax bands across the country. If you think your band is wrong you can challenge it.

Challenge your Council Tax band

Making an appeal does not stop you having to pay Council Tax in the meantime. You must continue to make the payments demanded on your bill. If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid tax.

Get in touch about council tax

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call during office hours and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help.