Street naming and numbering

About street naming and numbering

Runnymede Borough Council is the statutory authority for naming and numbering of properties and streets within the borough.

You need to apply to Runnymede Borough Council for street naming and numbering if you are

  • changing a house name
  • giving a house a new name
  • creating a new property or properties
  • naming a new road
  • dividing a house or unit
  • merging addresses
  • creating a new commercial (non-residential) unit or units

New developments can make an application as soon as the development is permitted and plans are finalised.

Requests to change the address of a property can only be made by the owner of the property or appointed agent. We cannot accept requests from prospective purchasers or tenants.

We will not allow properties within the same post town; to have the same or a similar name. We recommend you provide us with three names, in order of preference, for Royal Mail acceptance. Once approved we will confirm the change to you and inform essential authorities including emergency services.

Get in touch about street naming and numbering

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help. Alternatively, you can email the service direct.