There are certain items we are unable to accept in blue-lidded recycling bins. Please check below to find out what we can and cannot recycle in Runnymede.
If you've put the wrong items in your recycling bin, it will not be emptied. Putting the wrong thing inside your bin could:
- Spoil the whole lorry load of recycling and it would potentially have to be disposed of as waste
- Be dangerous and unpleasant for the people who sort it
- Waste taxpayers' money
- Dry cardboard and paper
- Rinsed tins and cans
- Rinsed plastic pots, tubs and trays (lids included but separate)
- Plastic bottles including cleaning bottles, toiletry bottles and drink bottles
- Rinsed glass jars (with lids)
- Glass bottles
- Junk mail
- Magazines and newspapers
- Clean aluminium foil - scrunched up into a ball
- Shredded paper (please ensure this is contained in a box or envelope)
If you are unsure if an item can be recycled please check using the search tool at the top of this page.
- Any type of plastic bags, including carrier bags, bin bags or liners, recyclable plastic, soil and fertilizer bags, sandwich bags, fruit and vegetable packaging and nappy sacks
- Cling film and bubble wrap
- Light bulbs
- Wet paper or card
- Aerosol cans
- Dirty aluminium foil
- Crisp packets
- Cartons and Tetra Pak
- Nappies and sanitary/incontinence products
- Wood and metal objects
- Takeaway pizza boxes
Received a red tag and bin not emptied?
If there is a red tag placed on your recycling bin it means we were unable to empty it because it contained non-recyclable items. To check if an item can be collected as part of our recycling service use the search tool at the top of this page. Please be aware that your bin needs to be placed at the boundary of your property by 6am on your collection day.
Please remove the non-recyclable items and we will be able to empty your bin on your next scheduled recycling collection day. We can take any excess recycling produced between then and your next collection if placed in a cardboard box next to your recycling bin. Alternatively, please take your recycling to Lyne Lane community recycling centre or any other Community Recycling Sites in Surrey.
We can't accept all 'recyclable' items
Items that have the recycling logo on, or say it's recyclable, are only able to be recycled if the sorting facility has the right technology or the items can be sorted easily. This is why recycling guidelines vary in different areas, dependent on the technology available at the sorting facility. Please only put the items we list on this page or in our service guide in your recycling bin.
Our recycling centres do not accept material that contain plastic bags as it can damage machinery. We could have to incinerate a whole lorry's worth of recycling if it contained a high number of plastic bags. Therefore we are unable to accept plastic bags of any type (even if specifically recyclable) or any bag-like packaging.
Supermarkets are able to recycle plastic bags as they send their plastics straight to a private recycling centre. Alternatively, you can now put food waste in a plastic bag (not a black bin bag) in your green food waste caddy. For more information please go to our Food waste collection page.
Additional and larger recycling bins
If you feel like you need an additional or larger recycling bin please contact customer services and they will be able to advise you on our one-off delivery costs.