Problems with your home

Fire safety

In rented accommodation your landlord is responsible for meeting fire safety standards. You should expect smoke alarms on each floor. If you live in a shared house (known as an HMO) you should expect a fire blanket and extinguisher in the kitchen, and a fire door between the kitchen and escape route.

Please do not keep fire doors wedged open as they are vital to stop fire spreading.

As a tenant you are responsible for testing your smoke alarms regularly, and reporting any faults to your landlord.

Requirements for landlords

According to the Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015 all rented accommodation must have a smoke alarm on each floor. Carbon monoxide alarms are also required in rooms that burn solid fuel, such as coal fires or wood burning stoves.

If you rent a house in multiple occupation (HMO) you must also meet the   Runnymede HMO standards. Failure to do so may result in a penalty.

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 applies to HMO properties, and requires the 'responsible person' carry out a fire risk assessment.  The fire safety order is enforced by Surrey Fire and Rescue Service We have produced a PDF icon to indicate a PDF file Logbook and fire risk assessment template to help you comply.