Problems with your home

If you rent from a private landlord, you can expect your home to be kept in a good condition. You should report any problems to your landlord as soon as possible, such as dampness or a broken boiler. We can help you if your landlord is unwilling to carry out repairs.

There are no set time limits but your landlord should carry out the repairs within a reasonable period, considering how serious the problem is and how difficult it will be sort out. If the job is large or complicated it will take longer to repair as your landlord may have to contact specialist contractors and arrange quotations. You should be willing to provide access to the property for contractors.

If your landlord is unwilling to carry out repairs or there is an immediate risk to your safety then you should contact us. It's a good idea to keep a record of the communication you have had with your landlord.

Get in touch about private sector housing

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call during office hours and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help.