Problems with your home

Gas safety

If you live in rented accommodation your landlord has specific legal responsibilities for gas safety.

Landlords should have the gas pipe work, appliance and chimneys / flues checked for safety by a Gas Safe Registered engineer.

Landlords must also have the gas installation tested every year by a registered engineer. You should ask to see a copy of the safety record when the test has been done. If your landlord does not provide the record when asked, you should report this to the Health and Safety Executive.

Landlords' full responsibilities for gas safety are laid out in the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998

In an emergency

If you have a gas or carbon monoxide leak you should call the 24-hour emergency gas service line on 0800 111 999.