What happens next?
What happens next after you have reported a suspected case of food poisoning?
- the laboratory will automatically notify the Environmental Health Department if there is a positive result
- the Environmental Health Department may contact you to try to identify how you became infected and to ensure it cannot be passed on
- if you are a food handler, work with children under five or the elderly, you should abstain from work until 48 hours after your symptoms cease (occasionally extended exclusion may be required, we will give you instructions where this is necessary)
- children under five should be kept away from nurseries until 48 hours after their symptoms cease (again further periods of exclusion are sometimes required, parents/carers will be given instructions)
- occasionally additional samples may be necessary to confirm that the infection has cleared
Help us improve this website
Let us know if you find any spelling mistakes, inaccuracies or broken links by using this form. If you provide an email address we will only use it to provide an update if required.
To get in touch about a service we provide use the general enquiries form.
Did you find this page useful
Get in touch about environmental health
The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call during office hours and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help.