Housing repairs - our responsibility
As your landlord we are responsible for repairing the following general repair works
Systems providing heating, gas, electricity, and water in your home including
- Heating systems, water heaters fitted by the Council
- Electrical circuits, sockets, and switches
- Internal pipes, baths, sinks, basins, toilets, taps and deck mixer showers (installed by us)
- Other appliances we put in and own (such as communal television aerials and door entry systems)
- Annual service of Council gas appliances
Exterior of your home
- external paint work
- chimneys, chimney stacks and flues but not including sweeping
- drains, gutters, and outside pipes
- roofs, external walls, and floors
- paths and steps
- fences, walls, and gates erected and owned by the Council
Interior of your home
Please note that the Council is responsible for the following interior repairs due only to natural wear and tear. We are not responsible when damage has been caused through misuse.
- floors and ceilings
- plaster work
- doors and door frames
- door fittings – locks, handles, hinges, and letter boxes
- windows and window frames
- kitchen units and bathroom
Communal area and facilities
- lifts and entry phone systems
- fire detection and emergency lighting system
- shared entrances, halls, stairs, and passages
- painting the inside and outside of shared areas
- parking areas and any other shared areas
All general repair work will be completed within 15 working days.
To report non-urgent repairs please complete the online form below
For emergency repairs see our page on reporting emergency repairs
The Repairs Handbook is for council tenants to understand the repairs service and what they can expect to receive from the Council as their landlord.
Help us improve this website
Let us know if you find any spelling mistakes, inaccuracies or broken links by using this form. If you provide an email address we will only use it to provide an update if required.
To get in touch about a service we provide use the general enquiries form.
Did you find this page useful
Get in touch about housing repairs
The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call during office hours and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help.