Understanding your business rates bill
We understand that business rates bill contains many different sections which you may have questions about. To help you get familiar with your bill, we have numbered the different sections and provided an explanation for each of them.
- Name and address of company responsible for paying the bill
- Address of the property the charge relates to
- Date the bill was issued
- Business rates account reference number (8 digits) – please quote this number in any communication to us
- Financial year the property charge relates to
- How the annual rate has been calculated
- Information about the account including the area code, the description, the rateable value and the property reference number
- Reason why bill has been issued
- Breakdown of the bill showing the full charge for the property, plus any discounts/exemptions and adjustments made to the bill. Anything preceded by minus ‘-’ means that the value will be deducted from the bill. Anything that is not preceded with minus will have adjustments added to your bill.
- Total amount you have to pay
- Instructions for how to pay your bill including breakdown of instalments if applicable and your chosen payment method
- Barcode which enables you to pay for your bill at Post Office or PayPoint outlets
Help us improve this website
Let us know if you find any spelling mistakes, inaccuracies or broken links by using this form. If you provide an email address we will only use it to provide an update if required.
To get in touch about a service we provide use the general enquiries form.
Did you find this page useful
Get in touch about business rates
The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call during office hours and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help.