Pay for building regulation approval

Regularisation application fees

This option allows the owner of a building to apply for retrospective Building Regulation approval for illegal building work. It cannot be used for any work that was carried out before 11 November 1985

We will inspect the work and tell you what (if anything) needs to be exposed and what (if anything) needs to be done in order for a certificate to be issued. This can take some time, especially when major work is needed to bring a building up to standard.

You can decide not to proceed with the process at any stage (providing the work has been completed for more than two years and no life-threatening defects are apparent) in which case we will close our file. Unfortunately, we will not be able to refund any part of the charge you have paid.

A regularisation certificate charge is payable immediately after you have submitted your application. You can do this online or over the phone.  

To calculate the charges which apply to your project, select the appropriate charge type from the menu to the right-hand side of this page.

Exemptions, refunds and supplementary charges

Disabled people do not have to pay charges, where the work is providing disabled access or facilities to a building.

In exceptional circumstances, where the amount of work we do is significantly more or less than the original estimate, we will either issue a refund or make a supplementary charge.

If you pay a charge but the work is not carried out, we’ll consider a refund request looking at the costs we’ve incurred. However, we will have to charge you a minimum administration fee of £50.

When work under the supervision of a private sector building control body reverts to our Building Services control before satisfactory completion, a Reversion Charge is payable which we will individually assess.

Get in touch about building control

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call during office hours and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help.