What happens next

Once your notice has been submitted Building Control will contact the person carrying out the demolition and may request further information.  There may be a need to satisfy legal requirements in relation to safe working methods and public safety during the demolition period.

Once your notice has been approved you have six months to complete the demolition work. If the work is not completed within this time you will need to submit a new demolition notice.

You do not need to submit a demolition notice if

  • you are demolishing an internal part of an occupied building that will continue to be occupied. For example, the removal of an internal wall (you will still need to apply for building regulations approval).
  • the building is less than 1750 cubic feet (approximately 49 cubic metres) when measured externally.
  • the building is a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage that forms part of a larger building. For example, a shed attached to the side of a house.

Some free standing agricultural buildings may also be exempt - please contact us for advice

Get in touch about building control

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call during office hours and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help.