Environmental permits

We regulate certain types of industries to reduce pollution and in particular improve air quality. We issue permits for certain industrial activities which require a permit.

We carry out inspections using a risk based approach, those with a higher pollution potential are inspected more frequently. If a company breaches permit conditions we can take enforcement action which may lead to prosecution.

We issue permits for certain industrial activities which require a permit. Details of the industrial activities which require a permit can be found in Part 2 of Schedule 1 of the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 and are split into three categories namely A1, A2 and Part B activities.

A1 activities

The Environment Agency control A1 activities, which are the larger more polluting and complex industries e.g.  power stations.

A2 activities

We undertake the inspection and regulation of all Part A2 Activities within the Borough (currently none). These activities can include large foundries and  brick manufacturers. The Part A2 activities regime is known as Local Authority Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (LA-IPPC).

Part B activities

Part B activities include activities such as vehicle re-spraying, furniture manufacture and unloading of petrol. The Part B activities regime is known as Local Authority Pollution Prevention and Control (LAPPC).


Defra provides further information guidance on the policy and permitting procedures for activities subject to LA-IPPC and LAPPC under the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2016.


Fees for environmental permits are set by Central Government. The current fees can be found on Defra's website.  Please note that the 2017/18 Fees were published by Defra on 8 August 2017.

Get in touch about environmental health

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help. Alternatively, you can email the service direct.