Bedroom entitlement

Social sector size criteria

If you are a council or housing association tenant and you have more bedrooms than allowed, we will reduce your Housing Benefit. This is known as the 'social sector size criteria' or 'bedroom tax'.

The criteria do not apply to:

  • people and their partners who have reached state pension age
  • temporary accommodation we've placed someone in because of homelessness, or to prevent homelessness
  • rooms used by students who are temporarily away from home but intend to return
  • a room for a member of the family who's away in the Armed Forces and uses the home as their permanent UK address.

Get in touch about benefits

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help. Alternatively, you can email the service direct.