Who to contact in a flood

A list of organisations, what they are responsible for and their contact details.

Runnymede Borough Council

  • rest centre, housing, transport, co-ordination with other agencies and sharing of information
  • 01932 838383
  • out of hours emergency: 01932 838383
  • rivers and ground water advice
  • sign up for flood warnings
  • 03708 506 506
  • 0345 988 1188

Thames Water

  • Sewage, flooded sewers, and sewage clearing
  • 0845 9200 800

Affinity Water

  • Drinking water
  • 0845 9200 800

UK Power Networks

  • Run the electricity supply network (we would advise that you do not contact your energy supplier e.g. SSE, EDF, Virgin etc. as these companies are your own electricity supplier but do not run the electricity supply network)
  • Sign up for alerts
  • Emergency number: 0345 357 2407

Surrey County Council

N.B. No agency has a responsibility to distribute sandbags, but we do try the assist areas most in need with our available resource.  We have encouraged and assisted residents in the flood plain to take steps to protect their own property through various initiatives.

Environmental Agency

The Environment Agency has an overall supervisory responsibility for all controlled waterways in England and Wales. They have a specific supervisory role for main rivers.  These are rivers that are shown on the Statutory Map of Rivers and are also referred to as sealed main rivers.

The main rivers in Runnymede are: the River Thames, the Chertsey and Addlestone Bourne, the River Wey, the Meadlake Ditch, the Moat, the Hurst Ditch and the Rive Ditch. They are responsible for issuing the necessary consents for any works on a main river and taking enforcement action for any contraventions of the Land Drainage Act. 

At times of severe weather they are responsible for providing flood warnings.