Storm Henk Grant Application privacy notice - Privacy notices

What personal information do we collect?

When you contact us by phone, email or through the Council's website we may need to collect personal information, including your contact details, about how you have been affected by the flooding following Storm Henk in to assess and process your claim. The information we require from you will include personal data and special categories of personal data, such as

Contact details - title, full name, address, email address, telephone number etc

Proof of identity - this will only be collected where required

The nature of how the flood has affected your home or business

Financial details for purposes of receiving and/or making payments

Housing information relating to your Council Tax

Details of your flood insurance cover

IP Address (if using our website)

We use your personal data within the rules set under Data Protection law and we will only collect data that is absolutely necessary. The information we receive about you can be given to us directly by you, a family member or in some cases can be shared with us by another organisation due to the Council having a role in a service they are providing. This includes organisations such as Department for Levelling Up Housing and Communities (DLUHC), Department for the Environment Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), and the Department for Business and Trade, all of whom are providing the Grant.

Why do we process personal data?

Processing your information is necessary under Article 6(1)(e) the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of our official authority. Specifically, under the Civil Contingencies Act 2004 we have a duty to assess, plan and advise in respect of an event or situation which threatens serious damage to human welfare.

Who has access to your personal data?

We will share your information with Surrey County Council who are managing the Property Flood Resilience Scheme. We may also need to share information with the Department for Levelling Up Housing and Communities (DLUHC), Department for the Environment Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), and the Department for Business and Trade, all of whom are providing the Grant, but will only share the information for the purpose of administering the Grant or a purpose which is compatible with the reason your information was provided.

We will ensure that any personal data in our care will be kept safe and that where your information is disclosed to a third party, we will ensure that the purpose of the sharing is clearly defined, for example they do the same via a contract or information sharing agreement. We require all third parties to respect the security of your personal data and to treat it in accordance with the law. We do not allow our processors to use your personal data for their own purposes and only permit them to process your personal data for specified reasons and in accordance with our instructions and data protection laws. They are also obliged to implement appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure the security of data. We will not use your personal data for third party marketing purposes without your prior express consent. The organisation will not transfer your data to countries outside the European Economic Area.

How do we protect personal data?

We take the security of your data seriously. The Council has internal policies and controls in place to try to ensure that your data is not lost, accidentally destroyed, misused, or disclosed, and is not accessed except by its employees in the performance of their duties. Data will only be processed by members of staff authorised by the Council as Data Controller for this purpose. Access to our systems is limited to employees whose job role requires access to the personal data.

How long do we keep your personal data?

We keep data for a minimum period of 7 years as required by the terms of the grants.  Some information has to be retained for legal reasons and information can be kept longer to understand decisions that have been made.

Your rights

As a data subject, you have a number of rights, including access to your data. A request for access can be made via our website or by sending an email to

Data Protection Subject Access Request(SAR)

To find out more about your rights please see the ‘Your Rights’ section of our main privacy statement

If you believe that Runnymede Borough Council has not complied with your data protection rights, you should initially try to resolve it with the relevant department.

If you are unable to resolve the issue to your satisfaction, contact our Data Protection Officer (DPO) who will investigate. If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome of the DPO’s review you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner. You can find out further information on making a complaint to the Information Commissioner on Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) website.

Submit a FOI request