Request a Council Tax refund

Request a council tax refund

As Council Tax payments are mostly paid in advance, where there is a change in your circumstances a credit may occur on your account. These credits can be refunded to you after verification.

A refund will only be completed if your account is in credit and you do not owe any other amounts of Council Tax. If you move within the borough, any credit on your previous address will be transferred to your new address. If you have moved away from Runnymede and have overpaid, then a refund will be made.

Please note: If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you will be required to pay it back to Runnymede Borough Council.

Reasons for overpayment

A Council Tax account can fall into credit for the following reasons

  • A discount has been awarded
  • An exemption has been awarded
  • Council Tax Support has been awarded
  • An alteration to the property banding
  • The customer leaves the property, or their liability ends
  • The customer has overpaid

Where a request for a refund is received for payment other than from the original payer then the application will be subject to a validation check. There may sometimes be a slight delay, because of this validation check in issuing the refund. After validation has taken place, we will issue a refund via BACS which is usually issued within 10 working days from the date of request.

A refund for a credit where there are joint names on the Council Tax account requires confirmation from all of the residents. When completing the form you will need to confirm that you have consulted and agreed on details of the refund with all other residents of the property.

Request a Council Tax refund