Gaming machines

We can grant permits to regulate gaming machines for premises which provide a gambling facility, without gambling being the main function of the premises.

Who can apply for a Gaming Machine Permit?
Premises with a licence for consumption of alcohol, which contain a bar where alcohol is served, but without a requirement that alcohol is served only with food, can apply.

What does the permit entitle me to?
There is an automatic entitlement to two machines of category C or D. This is subject to you notifying the licensing authority in writing of your wish to use this entitlement, paying the prescribed fee of £50 and complying with any relevant code of practice from the Gambling Commission.

There is no annual fee, but if your alcohol licence is transferred to other premises, a new written notification is necessary along with a further £50 fee.

Is there an annual fee?
For two or fewer machines, there is no annual fee. For more than two machines, there is an annual fee of £50.

How do I apply?
You can download the application form which contains further guidance and information.

PDF icon Application for Gaming machine permit 

Please send a copy of a completed form and the fee to our licensing team.

Further information on gaming machines and gambling can be found on the Gambling Commission website

Get in touch about licensing

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help. Alternatively, you can email the service direct.