When to apply for building control

Building Control - regularisation application

Regularisation application is an option that allows the owner of a building to apply for retrospective Building Regulation approval for illegal building work.

It cannot be used for any work that was carried out before 11 November 1985. When we receive the application we will

  • assess any plans and information and arrange a site visit to verify information
  • issue a report listing any items that do not comply with the regulations, any additional plans and information that is needed and also any opening up that may be required to check things that could not be seen
  • inspect work that has been opened up and, where appropriate, agree a timetable for the making good of defective work
  • inspect remedial work as it is carried out and if satisfactorily completed issue a certificate

An application for a Regularisation Certificate does not prevent the Council taking legal action, where necessary, for failure to comply with the Building Regulations when the work was first carried out.

Regularisation application - apply online

PDF icon Regularisation application form

Get in touch about building control

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help. Alternatively, you can email the service direct.