Discretionary Housing Payment

Who can claim a Discretionary Housing Payment

Anyone who needs more help with housing costs and is currently claiming

  • Housing Benefit or
  • Universal Credit with housing costs towards rental liability

You cannot get a DHP to help with Council Tax payments, though we might be able to help you pay your rent while you clear your Council Tax liability.

The government gives councils funding to pay DHPs to people who have been affected by welfare reforms including

  • the benefit cap
  • removal of the spare room subsidy in the social rented sector
  • changes to Local Housing Allowance rates

Some people may qualify for longer term support.