Savings and capital

If you and/or your partner have combined savings of over £16,000, we will not pay Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support. If you receive Pension Credit Guarantee this rule does not apply.

We will need to see evidence of all bank accounts, savings and investments

  • full statements for the last two months for all bank, building society and post office accounts (even if they are not in credit) - a mini statement is not acceptable
  • updated building society savings books
  • proof of all investments e.g. ISAs, TESSAs, premium bonds, stocks and shares
  • documented proof of other property or land you own in the UK or overseas except the house you live in as your home

If you are aged under 60 we will ignore the first £6,000. If you are over 60 we ignore the first £10,000.

Get in touch about benefits

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help. Alternatively, you can email the service direct.