You will need to provide proof of all income you receive when you apply for Housing Benefit.


  • Wage slips for last five weeks, three fortnights or two months; or
  • An employer's Certificate of Earnings form (included in the benefit application form) completed by your employer with their stamp; or
  • A detailed letter from your employer on headed paper confirming your gross and net wages and any deductions that are taken.

Self employed earnings

  • Fully audited accounts for the last financial year; or
  • A completed Benefits Service Self Employed form with evidence of your income and expenditure.

Benefits, pensions or allowances from the Department for Work and Pensions

  • A current award letter from the DWP or Pension Service; or
  • Identifiable payments on a recent bank statement.

Private pension

  • A payment advice slip not more than two months old; or
  • A letter from the pension company; or
  • Identifiable payments on a recent bank statement.

Any other income

  • Child maintenance letter from Child Support Agency, ex-partner or court papers
  • Student loans evidence
  • Letters from friends or family who have lent or given you money or continue to give you money
  • Tax Credits award letter from HM Revenue and Customs

Payments to a registered child minder

  • Confirmation that they are a registered child minder, with their registration number; and
  • Evidence of the amounts you pay and their frequency

Get in touch about benefits

The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help. Alternatively, you can email the service direct.