Road Closures under the Town Police Clauses Act

If you are the organiser of an event taking place on the road or public highway you will need to apply for a Temporary Road Closure Notice. It is free to apply and if approved will allow you to close the road to passing traffic for the duration of your event.  You need to give at least twelve weeks' notice.

If the event is in a cul-de-sac or no through road a road closed sign should be displayed.

When the application is for a through road, and/or a traffic diversion route is required Runnymede Borough Council will consult Surrey County Council Highways for advice and agreement.

Temporary road closure application form

Small private community parties and fêtes where no alcohol is sold do not normally require a licence. These parties and fetes are where groups of residents, or a community organisation, organises an event for the benefit of their neighbours or a local school.

More information about organising a street party can be found on the government website

Parties on private land

If you are holding your party on private land or off the road you will not need a Road Closure Notice.