What is emergency planning?
When minor emergencies occur they are usually dealt with by a responding organisation such as police, fire or ambulance service. However, councils are required by law to prepare an emergency plan so that resources and experienced people are on standby to respond quickly and in the best possible way when a major crisis - of whatever kind - occurs.
In response to an emergency, both we and Surrey County Council will principally be required to
- support emergency services with resources (usually our normal services)
- look after the care and welfare of people (shelter and re-housing)
- warn and inform the public
- protect the environment.
Runnymede Borough Council emergency plan allows us to
- make good, immediate decisions
- co-ordinate our efforts to be most effective