Tenancy support

The Area Housing Managers are available to offer help and support, and will work with you on payment of rent debt if you fall into arrears.  They will be able to offer advice regarding debt, help with benefits, assess your income and expenditure to help you manage your spending and agree the best way forward in managing your rent account and sustaining your tenancy.

If you need in depth, specialist advice and support, it may be possible for the Area Housing Managers to refer you to our Tenant Support Officer for additional support during this challenging time.

Our Area Housing Managers and Tenant Support Officer will help to assist you as best they can if you are in financial hardship and impacted by Coronavirus. However, it is important that paying your rent is your top financial priority.

You can call on 01932 838383 or email tenancy.management@runnymede.gov.uk to find out more.

The sooner you contact us, the sooner we can assist, support and advise you. We are here to help.