Using your personal data
Generally, your information will be provided by you to access our services. Where we have a duty to provide that service this will be our lawful basis for processing your data. However, there are other lawful basis which we may use when processing your data which is not linked to our official authority.
- You have given us consent to the processing of your personal data for one or more specific purposes.
- Processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are party, or in order for us to take steps, at your request, prior to entering into a contract.
- Processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject.
- Processing is necessary in order to protect the vital interests of either yourself or another person.
In very exceptional circumstances where your information is being used for a purpose outside our scope as local authority we may process your data because is necessary for our legitimate interests (or that of a third party). However, we will always take into account your interests and fundamental rights to ensure it is justified, particularly where the information relates to a child.
We will only use your information for the purpose it was provided or another compatible purpose. For example, where necessary and in a proportionate way, including in the following circumstances:
- To allow the Council to communicate with you and provide appropriate services
- To plan, monitor, and improve service performance
- Where the Council exercises its statutory obligations and enforcement functions, for instance licensing and planning
- Legal proceedings, including prosecutions by the Council
- To process financial transactions such as payments and benefits, including where the Council is acting on behalf of other government bodies such as the Department for Work and Pensions
- To prevent and detect fraud and other crimes
- To protect individuals from harm or injury
- To ensure our records are up to date and accurate
- To fulfil our legal duties including those under the Equalities Act 2010 and Health and Safety Acts
Your information will only be used for a purpose not linked to the original reason we obtain it, if we gain your consent or the law allows us to.
Help us improve this website
Let us know if you find any spelling mistakes, inaccuracies or broken links by using this form. If you provide an email address we will only use it to provide an update if required.
To get in touch about a service we provide use the general enquiries form.
Did you find this page useful