Finding somewhere to live

Information and advice on buying your own home, renting privately, joining the housing register and what to do if you find yourself homeless.

You should consider renting privately before joining Runnymede's housing register as this is a much quicker way to find a new home. We may be able to help you with your deposit or rent if you are struggling with the costs of renting. Find out more on the RBC Living and Homes site.
Check our allocations policy to see if you are eligible and qualify to join Runnymede's housing register. If so, you can register online at RBC Living and Homes. You should also consider private renting and shared ownership as there is a high demand for social housing in Runnymede.
If you'd like to buy your own home but can't afford to, one of the Government's schemes, such as Shared Ownership, might help you.
For Council contact details if you are homeless and for details of hostels and night shelters on the RBC Living and Homes site.
Our Extra Care Housing scheme allows you to live independently but with 24 hour support if you need it. The RBC Living and Homes site explains more about this and how to apply for Independent Retirement Living.
If three or more students share a house this is known as a house in multiple occupation (HMO). From 1 October 2018 the landlord must apply for a licence if five or more students are sharing a house.
If you're a council tenant and want to move home you could either apply to transfer to an empty council property or agree to swap homes with another council tenant - that's called mutual exchange.
Runnymede Rentstart can help if you are homeless and need support to rent privately. They may be able to provide a deposit bond to a landlord to secure accommodation for you. Runnymede Rentstart is operated by Runnymede Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB).

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon