You should apply to renew your HMO licence at least two months before your current licence expires.
To renew your HMO licence download and complete the. The form does not work on mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets. Right click the link and select the 'save' option.
Next, fill in the application form on your computer. To edit the form you'll need a recent version of Adobe Reader. Open the form using Adobe Reader instead of your web browser. If you can't complete the form right now don't worry, you can edit it in your own time. Please note that the form cannot be uploaded at the gov.uk website.
You must read thebefore completing your application.
If you no longer need a licence you must tell us using the.
You must tell us about any changes in circumstance since your last licence was granted, and you'll need to provide updated information about your own status as a licence holder.
You must include:
- Electrical installation condition report (EICR) issued within the last five years
- Landlord's Gas Safety record issued within the last 12 months, if the property has gas
- Portable appliance test (PAT) certificate issued within the last 12 months for any portable electrical appliances more than 12 months old
- Fire risk assessment, if one has been undertaken
- Maintenance and inspection reports for fire precautions equipment
Licence renewal fee
The basic fee is £577 per licence. If the licence holder and manager are different people, an extra £76 is payable.
If you need assistance with your application, or you submit an incomplete application which causes us extra time to process, the total fee is £800 per licence.
Your new licence conditions will be similar to your current licence. You will be able to comment on any new conditions before we grant the licence.
The Government has set new national minimum sleeping room sizes for licensed properties. We must include mandatory conditions on all new and renewed licences stating how many persons each sleeping room is suitable for. The national minimum sleeping room sizes to be imposed as conditions of HMO licences are:
- 6.51 m2 for one person over 10 years of age;
- 10.22 m2 for two persons over 10 years of age;
- 4.64 m2 for one child under the age of 10 years;
- Any room of less than 4.64 m2 may not be used as sleeping accommodation.
If your current licence has conditions for improvements to be made to the property, we will check these have been met. You could be fined an unlimited amount per condition or receive a civil penalty of up to £30,000 if they haven't been met.
Apply for your licence renewal
When you have completed your application form and have all your supporting documents ready register or login to the HMO licensing portal to submit them.
If you need help using the portal please read the.