How we can help
If you are experiencing housing difficulty, are about to become homeless or you are currently homeless, the Council's Housing Solutions team may be able to help.
If you are at risk of losing your home or if you have been asked to leave where you are living, we can:
- Assess your situation and explain your rights
- Offer you advice on how to save your tenancy, if applicable
- Try to prevent you from becoming homeless, such as mediation between yourself and the excluder
- Offer advice on finding a new home
- Explain the duties the Council may owe to you
It is very important that you contact us as soon as possible. Early applications for assistance maximises the time and opportunities available for us to help you. We will work with you to try to prevent your homelessness and to resolve any housing issues you may have. This is known as a prevention duty.
Whilst we encourage you to seek our assistance as soon as possible, there are also actions you may be able to take in order to proactively reduce the risk of homeless:
- If you have any concerns about debts, speak
- Check you are receiving all of the benefits you are entitled to receive using the 'entitled to' calculator You may be eligible for Housing Benefit or Universal Credit to help you pay your rent
- to an expert. Runnymede Citizens Advice and Christians against poverty may be able to help
- If you are in rent or mortgage arrears, speak with the lender or landlord to negotiate an affordable repayment plan. You can complete an income and expenditure form
- You may wish to explore home ownership options
If staying in your current home is not an option then you need to be aware that rents in Runnymede are very high. It is imperative that you ensure any accommodation you move to is affordable.
If you rent privately, Local Housing Allowance (LHA) sets out the maximum amount of assistance you may be able to receive - to find out how much you may be able to receive use the 'entitled to' calculator which will give you an approximate guide
The useful websites below are popular home search engines you can use if you are looking for a new home:
Help us improve this website
Let us know if you find any spelling mistakes, inaccuracies or broken links by using this form. If you provide an email address we will only use it to provide an update if required.
To get in touch about a service we provide use the contact us form.
Get in touch about housing solutions
The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help. Alternatively, you can email the service direct.