We may calculate Business Rates at a lower rate for those who are not entitled to other types of relief and have a rateable value of less than £15,000.
If the rateable value is less than £15,000 for the sole or main property, we will apply a percentage reduction. For a property with a rateable value of less than £12,000 the reduction could be as much as 100%.
To be eligible for this reduction the ratepayer must either
- occupy only one property with a rateable value of less than £15,000; or
- occupy this as the main property, and the other properties must have a rateable value of less than £2,899 each (with a total of less than £19,999)
Small businesses which take on a new additional property will not lose their existing relief for the first 12 months.
If you meet the eligibility criteria but the Small Business Rate Relief has not automatically been shown on your bill you should complete a Small Business Rate Relief application form Or if you prefer you can print and post the form
From 1 April 2017 the Government has said it will
- offer 100% relief to businesses with a rateable value of up to £12,000
- offer a tapered relief for businesses with a rateable value of between £12,000 and £15,000
- increase the threshold for the standard business rates multiplier, meaning that more smaller properties will have reduced rates.
Change of circumstance
You must tell us if
- you take up an additional property
- you have an additional property in another area and the rateable value increases.
Help us improve this website
Let us know if you find any spelling mistakes, inaccuracies or broken links by using this form. If you provide an email address we will only use it to provide an update if required.
To get in touch about a service we provide use the contact us form.
Did you find this page useful
Get in touch about business rates
The quickest way to contact us is by using our online forms which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need to speak to us give us a call and talk to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help. Alternatively, you can email the service direct.