Skip Navigation
Smallest fontMedium fontLargest font
Search site

Reporting accidents at work

Certain accidents at work are covered by the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013.

Employers, the self-employed and other people in charge of work premises must report certain types of accidents, ill-health and dangerous occurrences that happen because of work.

You must report:

  • deaths
  • specified major injuries
  • over-seven-day injuries - where an employee or self-employed person is away from work or unable to perform their normal work duties for more than seven consecutive days
  • injuries to members of the public or people not at work where they are taken to hospital
  • some work-related diseases
  • some types of dangerous occurrences.

More detailed information is available on the HSE website.

How soon should I report the incident?

Deaths, specified dangerous occurrences and specified major injuries must be reported immediately.

All other reports must be made online by completing the online form using the link below within 15 days of the incident occurring:

RIDDOR online reporting.

Rate the quality of this content from 1 star (poor) to 5 (excellent)

Rate this page:

rate this item 1 starrate this item 2 starsrate this item 3 starsrate this item 4 starsrate this item 5 starsCurrent ratings

A to Z of services

We use cookies to help us improve the user experience. By continuing to browse this website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more about cookies.