Skip Navigation
Smallest fontMedium fontLargest font
Search site

Vehicle crossovers (dropped kerbs)

If you would like to lower the kerb outside your property, you might need to apply for planning permission. Roads classified as A, B or C will need planning permission. Roads classified as D do not normally require planning permission. Please contact Surrey County Council Highways for the classification of your Road.

If you road is classified as D you will still need to gain permission from Surrey County Council as the Highway Authority.

If your road is A, B or C classified you can apply for planning permission via the Planning Portal.

Private roads

To lower the kerb on a private road you do not need planning permission, or consent form Surrey County Council. However you should ask for written permission from the owner(s) of the land.


If you are also proposing to create or replace a hard surfacing/driveway in your garden, planning permission may be required for this. Further guidance is available from the Planning Portal.


A to Z of services

We use cookies to help us improve the user experience. By continuing to browse this website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more about cookies.