Skip Navigation
Smallest fontMedium fontLargest font
Search site

Do I need planning permission?

If you want to build an extension to your property or do other work to your home you may need to apply for planning permission. Some minor alterations and extensions, particularly to houses, can often be carried out without the need for planning permission. This is known as permitted development.

You can find a list of common projects including case studies and mini-guides on the Planning Portal website.

You will also need to check if permitted development rights have been removed from your property. You can do this via Runnymede's interactive Maps, or for records prior to 1999 you can view the planning history at the Civic Centre. More information on permitted development is available from the Government's Technical Guidance.

Ask us if you're unsure

If you want to be sure that you don't need planning permission, you can ask us for advice. One of our Planning Officers will be able to give you their informal opinion as to whether or not your proposal requires planning permission.

To apply for this service, please complete the relevant form and submit it, along with a fee of £50, to the Planning Business Centre at the Civic Centre.

Please include as much information as possible with your application, including sketches or informal plans (to scale if possible).

We aim to respond to your request within 21 days of receiving the completed application, although at busy times we may not be able to meet this.

Certificate of Proposed Lawful Use or Development

If you want formal (legal) confirmation that your proposal does not require planning permission, you can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate for proposed use or development.

You can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate (proposed use) for projects where work has not yet started on site. Please also read the help text (proposed use).

If work has already started, or been completed, you will need to apply for a Lawful Development Certificate for an existing use or operation instead. Please also read the help text (existing use).

Please read our pdf icon Validation Document [246kb] before starting your application. You may also find the Government's Lawful Development Certificates - A User's Guide useful.

A to Z of services

We use cookies to help us improve the user experience. By continuing to browse this website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more about cookies.