Environmental Health and Private Sector Housing

We collect and process personal data relating to environmental health and private sector housing functions in order to carry out our statutory duties. we are committed to being transparent about how we collect and use that data and meet our data protection obligations.

What information do we collect?

The organisation collects and processes a range of information about you. This includes:

  • your name, address and contact details, including email address and telephone number, date of birth etc.
  • payment card details and transactional data including payments to and from you;
  • details of any business you operate, premises you occupy or vehicle you use or own
  • medical conditions and health information

The organisation collects this information in a variety of ways. For example, data is collected through application forms, complaints and requests for service and general correspondence.

Why do we process personal data?

Processing your information is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of our official authority. We have a duty under the law to collect and process information in connection with the legislation we enforce or administrate e.g. as listed in Schedule 1 below.

In some cases, we need to process data to ensure that we are complying with our legal obligations. Sensitive data is processed because it is necessary for the exercise of a function conferred on us by an enactment or rule of law or because we have a duty to protect the public against dishonesty.

Who has access to data?

Where necessary your information will be shared with the parties set out below for the purposes stated above.

  • Police
  • Surrey Fire and Rescue
  • Commissioned partners (including Cirrus Research plc where, by invitation, residents choose to use the 'Noise Aid' online diary as an alternative to keeping paper records for nuisance complaint investigations)
  • Central government bodies e.g. Defra, EA, FSA, HSE, HMRC
  • Public Health England
  • Other local authorities
  • Other departments or sections of Runnymede Borough Council and Council Committees
  • Local Government Ombudsman

We require all third parties to respect the security of your personal data and to treat it in accordance with the law. We do not allow our data processors to use your personal data for their own purposes and only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions and data protection laws. They are also obliged to implement appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure the security of data.

We will not transfer your data to countries outside the European Economic Area.

Additionally, we are required to disclose information to the public with respect to our public registers of:

  • Caravan site licence holders
  • Acupuncture practitioners registered to practice in Runnymede and the places they have registered as being premises where acupuncture is carried out
  • Tattooist, electrolysis and piercing businesses registered to carry out their business in Runnymede and registered premises where these activities may be carried out
  • Register of food business operators
  • Licensed HMO register

How do we protect data?

We take the security of your data seriously. The organisation has internal policies and controls in place to try to ensure that your data is not lost, accidentally destroyed, misused or disclosed, and is not accessed except by its employees in the performance of their duties. Data will only be processed by members of staff authorised by us for this purpose. Access to our systems is limited to members of the licensing and private sector housing teams whose job role requires access to the personal data.

For how long do we keep data?

We process many different types of information. Some information has to be retained for legal reasons and information can be kept longer to understand decisions that have been made.

Your rights

As a data subject, you have a number of rights. You can:

  • access and obtain a copy of your data on request (known as a subject access request)
  • require us to change incorrect or incomplete data
  • ask us to delete or stop processing your data, for example where the data is no longer necessary for the purposes of processing. Where possible we will seek to comply with your request, but we may be required to hold or process information to comply with a legal requirement.
  • object to the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances. We may still be required to hold or process information if there are legitimate grounds for doing so.
  • You can make a subject access request by following the instructions for making a subject access request

    To contact us about any of your other data protection rights, please contact the Data Protection Officer.

    If you believe that Runnymede Borough Council has not complied with your data protection rights, you should initially contact our Data Protection Officer and if dissatisfied with the outcome you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner. You can find out further information on making a complaint to the Information Commissioner on their website.


Runnymede Borough Council

Schedule 1: List of Statutes

Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963

Animal Health Act 1981

Animal Welfare Act 2006

Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003

Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Police Act 2014

Building Act 1984

Caravan Sites Act 1968

Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960

Clean Air Act 1993

Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005

Control of Pollution Act 1974

Crime and Disorder Act 1998

Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994

Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976

Dogs Act 1906

Environment Act 1995

Environmental Protection Act 1990

European Communities Act 1972

Food Act 1984 as amended

Food and Environment Protection Act 1985

Food Safety Act 1990

Gambling Act 2005

Health Act 2006

Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974

Housing Act 2004

Licensing Act 2003

Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976

Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982

Noise and Statutory Nuisance Act 1993

Noise Act 1996

Mobile Homes Act 2013

Offices Shops and Railway Premises Act 1963 as amended

Pesticides Act 1998

Pet Animals Act 1951

Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999

Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949

Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984

Public Health Act 1936

Public Health Act 1961

Refuse Disposal (Amenity) Act 1978

Riding Establishments Act 1964

Riding Establishments Act 1970

Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013

Slaughter of Poultry Act 1967

Slaughterhouses Act 1974

Sunbeds (Regulation) Act 2010

Sunday Trading Act 1994

Water Industry Act 1991

Zoo Licensing Act 1981